A Total Fitness Lifestyle
Self-Improvement Resource

Warriorism HomeWarriorism ForumsTell a Friend

Things You Can Do

Use this forum to discuss topics about Warriorism and being a Warrior that don't fit in the other forums. Common topics include self-improvement, self-development, self-help, dedication, motivation, goal setting, and anything related to living like a Warrior and doing the best you can in life.

Things You Can Do

Postby Scott » 19 May 2007, 21:15

A lot of people have been giving suggestions to add to the 71 Things You Can Do article. Instead of re-editing it over and over again to add them, let's just turn this into the official thread to add your own things to the list.

So, go ahead, what things can a person can do to live a better life (in your opinion)?

(To post you have to be a member of the forum. If you aren't a member already, you can join for free.)
Scott
Site Admin

Sponsor

Postby Dylz » 19 May 2007, 21:58

Live deliberatly. When you speak, speak deliberatly so that your words have purpose. When you act, act deliberatly so you actions make a difference.
Dylz

Add this to your list

Postby windsortenor » 24 May 2007, 18:05

Avoid making long lists that you have to remember.
windsortenor

Postby damienhunter » 31 May 2007, 00:59

1. Learn to sew. (not as easy as it looks... I'm not talking the occasional button)
2. Hand craft your dishware from clay.
3. Brew your own beer at home.
4. Meditate.
5. Get your motorcycle license.
6. Learn how to fix your car. If there's nothing to fix, replace or modify shoddily made parts (Most libraries carry repair manuals)
7. Grow your own tea/herbs.
8. Create an objective list for things you want in life. Think of it as a "life shopping list".
9. Volunteer with the Guardian Angels. (if anything, it gives you an excuse to go to those parts of town most people avoid)
10. Place every onwanted item you have on ebay, with a starting auction price of $0.01 for the lot.
11. Practice your imitations.
12. Practice your sound effects.
13. Pushups.
14. Situps.
15. Lunges.
16. Go running. (go for distance... don't run so fast that you are breathing heavily... if that seems like a very slow pace to you, don't worry, you'll go faster in a period of a few weeks)
17. Go to the library, and browse the shelves without using a computer catalog. Check out any and every book of remote interest to you. Skim through as many as you feel like, reading only as much as you really care to read.
18. Pick an interesting news story, and type a report on it. Try to be formal and accurate. If you don't know how to do this, try to figure out why this event or circumstance happened.
damienhunter

Things you can do

Postby mexicomarti » 02 Jun 2007, 21:04

Cultivate integrity. By integrity, I mean be the same inside and outside.

Live like it is the last day of your life.

I disagree with the suggestion in the 71 Things You Can Do to 'forgive but never forget.' I believe the only true forgiveness occurs when you can forget the offense, the grievance. You have only really forgiven when you can no longer remember why you are forgiving.

Marti in Mexico
mexicomarti

Postby Mdaughdrill » 12 Jul 2007, 19:46

I would have to say in response to mexicomarti that to live every day like it is the last day of your life is not so good. I say this because, if that were the case, we would never plan past today, never have any goals. Now, I know that you were not meaning it that literally, and I respect that you are wise enough to see the importance of acting now, but we must always plan for the future. So I say...

- Live every day like it is the last day of your life, and your are going to
spend eternity living out the life that you are on track to live again and
again.
May the Warrior within guide you on your Way,

Michael Daughdrill
Mdaughdrill

Postby horribilis » 23 Feb 2009, 20:18

Re: The ever-expanding 71 Things:

Practice kindness but firmness with those smaller and weaker, such as children and animals.

When someone, including both children and adults, asks a question, answer honestly and clearly. If the question involves something you'd prefer not to reveal, an honest, clear, acceptable answer is, "I'd prefer not to say."

Don't treat children as some other species. If you wish your children to succeed in life, speak to them, at their level, with respect, and expect the same from them. Expect appropriate levels of responsibility from those under your protection.

Learn how to make as many of your necessities as you can, and if you can't make a necessity, try to do without it as much as possible. For instance, learn to cook, dig a latrine, make shoes, capture yeast, etc. If making paper in quantity is beyond your skills, treat it as a precious commodity and be as sparing as possible.

Thanks for a thought-provoking list and forum for its discussion.
horribilis

Postby Dj23 » 11 Jun 2009, 08:51

Stay off Facebook/Myspace
Dj23

Postby sourgirl » 12 Jun 2009, 04:07

Stop telling people what to do. You're not shepherds and we aren't sheep's.
sourgirl

Postby 11of10 » 23 Jun 2009, 08:37

These are mostly nice guidelines for a quality life, however I must object on one certain issue:

61. Treat other people as if they are better than they are. Treat them as if they are more successful, popular, etcetera.

I have to heavily object to this advice, as it actually does a bad favour to those people you talk to. As it is wrong to bash a person and person's feelings and success, also you need to stop them from "flying too high" or they may think that they are really that good as you treat them, and get spoiled, lazy et cetera. So, I say, treat people as they deserve. Surely, you shall have enemies, you shall have conflicts with friends, and of course, no one likes to be called lazy for instance, but, when it is the truth, then it is much better to tell it to your friend, than to treat them as if they were great, and they are not. Discuss your feelings with them if need be. A good discussion is not a bad way of coming to the truth.

Thank you for reading.
11of10

*ahem*

Postby grayciiie » 03 Aug 2009, 19:21

Most of this post is complete bull. Besides the fact that any simpleton could've written this list (I especially love the high fructose corn syrup rule -- I wonder which fad that came from?), I provide one fantastic reason that I cannot make it through the entire thing.

Number 8: Pay off your debts and don't go in debt. You can pay off your debts if you avoid needless expenses, such as cable, overpriced clothes, impractical decorations, unhealthy snacks, jewelry, etcetera.

Number 28: Always write with correct spelling and grammar.

The author should've stuck with the abbreviation. "Et cetera" is two words. I'm wondering if they thought they were clever because they spelled 'grammar' right.

Ouch.

(edit) oh look, in the comment above mine, the author has misused ETC. again. Way to stick to the guidelines. I would've noted that earlier but I lost respect for the author at 28.
grayciiie

Postby giggleweed » 11 Aug 2009, 07:58

i dont like this list. it's like religion.. 'don't enjoy the things that make life enjoyable'. we're only human.
giggleweed

Postby adion » 30 Jun 2010, 08:43

Learn how to start a fire.
Learn to hunt and kill/cook/eat animals.
Eat real food (meat, fish, fowl, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds).
Be able to deadlift, press, and squat substantial weight.
adion

Re: *ahem*

Postby Travis » 17 Jul 2010, 12:16

grayciiie wrote:Most of this post is complete bull. Besides the fact that any simpleton could've written this list (I especially love the high fructose corn syrup rule -- I wonder which fad that came from?), I provide one fantastic reason that I cannot make it through the entire thing.

Number 8: Pay off your debts and don't go in debt. You can pay off your debts if you avoid needless expenses, such as cable, overpriced clothes, impractical decorations, unhealthy snacks, jewelry, etcetera.

Number 28: Always write with correct spelling and grammar.

The author should've stuck with the abbreviation. "Et cetera" is two words. I'm wondering if they thought they were clever because they spelled 'grammar' right.

Ouch.

(edit) oh look, in the comment above mine, the author has misused ETC. again. Way to stick to the guidelines. I would've noted that earlier but I lost respect for the author at 28.

hm.

...not sure why the misuse of "etc." can turn you off from this whole thing. Seems a bit childish to point out the least significant part of this whole lifestyle and call the whole thing "complete bull."

There's some really good stuff here. I really dig it.
Travis

especially love the high fructose corn syrup rule...

Postby Shalimar » 31 May 2011, 10:30

Read the labels of foods and you'll understand.
Shalimar

Next

Return to Self-Improvement and General Warrior Talk